Monday, July 22, 2013

Taking Our Tempo-rature

I have spent the last 2 days in bed, sick with a horrific case of everything you can imagine.  As usual, in my medicated state, my hallucinations involve primary music!  So here's an idea that could be fun!

My pretend version of the board for this activity.  
You will need:
A poster with a thermometer drawn on it, or you can just draw it on the board.  Either way.
Word strips that say...Fast, Medium, Slow
More word strips for each song you are going to be singing, and a bag or something to choose them from
Even more word strips with different tempo ranges on them (more on this below)
A metronome - if you have a real one, great.  If not, you can download a free on on your smart phone/iPad

I'm going to use three of the program as an example.  So I would have word strips with these titles on one side, and the tempo range on the other side.
My Heavenly Father Loves Me, 50-56
When I am Baptized, 60-72
Families Can Be Together Forever, 80-96

Then I would randomly select 3 different tempo ranges from other songs.
112-120
84-108
92-112
Just make sure there are enough random ones to match up to the # of songs you are reviewing.

Have a child come up and pick a song out of the one bag and a tempo range from the other.  Set the metronome to that tempo, and sing the song.  Some of them will be sung WAY faster than normal, others WAY slower, and some might actually work.  Talk about the tempo, and how it can effect the feeling the music gives us when we sing it.  You can even go into the words they use in the book (like fervently, prayerfully, playfully, with conviction, etc.)  Look on the back of the title card and sing the song at the right tempo.  Place the title card on the thermometer where the group thinks it belongs - slow, medium, or fast.

Which is our slowest song?  Which is the fastest?  Do we have more fast or slow songs in the program?

Well, I don't know if that makes any sense, but hopefully you can piece it together if it doesn't.  Did I mention I'm a walking pharmacy?  Yep.  Hope you all have a great week!
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I just have a quick question on this. I didn't really get what to do with the post board with the thermometer on it. Is it just there to put the song title in one of the categories of Fast/ Medium/ or Slow to help them know how the speed, that was on the metronome, felt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I would just have it up there as a visual reference. You can put song titles on it to gauge where it's supposed to be tempo-wise, or how they feel, or if they like it, etc. Or you can leave it out completely...whatever works for you :)

      Delete
  2. I think this is a great idea for teaching children about tempo :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...