Thursday, December 29, 2011

Jar Full Of...

Thanks for the picure, Google!


I was going through my primary things recently after sharing a few ideas with a new chorister that lives in this area.  My bin really needed organizing!  But I found a little jar full of erasers, and realized that it was an idea that I hadn't shared here yet.  I think.

When I was first called as chorister, I wanted to find a way to choose helpers that was different than popsicle sticks.  Not that there's anything wrong with popsicle sticks, but I wanted something the kids could get excited about.  As I perused the aisles of the $1 store one day (this was at the beginning of a school year), I saw a package of 50 erasers.

"Aha!" I thought to myself.
"I will buy these erasers.
I will write names on them.
I will put them in a jars that are labeled Junior and Senior.
I will pull an eraser out of the jar.
I will read the name and that child will be my helper.
And then I will give the lucky child the eraser with their name on it.
And they will be happy."

Not kidding, that's pretty much what I thought.  And so I did those things, and it was a real hit with the kidlets.  When the jars were empty, I knew that everyone had gotten a turn.  And when (inevitably) a child came up to me and asked why they hadn't been called on in forever, I would say, "Well, Sally, you already got to take your eraser home."  Mm-hmm. It was great.

Then, as seasons changed, I would choose a different teeny tiny something.  Spider rings, plastic hearts, foam shamrocks...whatever the $1 store had for super cheap.  The kids loved it, I loved it.

How do you choose your helpers?

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Popsicle sticks is what we use but I think this is so great! Off to the dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea! I bought a bunch of little music note shaped erasers to give the kids, but now I'm going to use your idea! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Can't wait to use that next! I am currently using stickers with their name on the back. Then they get a sticker AND be a helper!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...