Friday, September 9, 2011

Simmer Down...Idea #1


Every primary worker, regardless of the specific calling, has had the difficult task at some point of reigning in the terror that is child chatter.  This can be irritating, stressful, and sometimes overwhelming, especially if your primary group is gigantic.  Child chatter can be the result of sugar (think every single holiday), excitement (think every single holiday...again), hunger (think every possible church block), boredom (don't blame yourself), or rebellion (blame the parents - it ALL comes from the home!).  There are several different ways to shush the chatter and bring the kids back to your good graces.  Here is one idea for you, inspired by someone somewhere who posted this lovely little poem:

Touch your nose, touch your chin,
That's the way this game begins.
Touch your eyes, touch your knees,
Now both hands we all will squeeze.
Touch your hair, touch one ear,
Touch your two red lips right here.
Touch your elbows where they bend,
That's the way this touch game ends.
(If they touch both elbows, they will end with their arms folded.)

FANTASTIC!!  What a brilliant way to get the kids' bodies moving and brains engaged, all with a little reverent twist.  It's all about tricking them into being quiet!  I made this set of visuals to help those of us that would end up twisting up all the words and end up with pretzel children.  Easy enough - just print out the following PDF's:

Visuals
Words

Cut out the words and paste them to the back of the corresponding visual.  You can put them on popsicle sticks like I did, or just leave them as circles; whatever is easier for you.

Try it!  It's fun!

And reverent!!!
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME!!! Great rhyme great game. Thanks allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;ve used this and the kids love it and quite right down for me. Thanks for this awesome little game!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm sorry, but I need to say two things. First, your site is awesome! Thanks so much for all the great visuals, printouts, ideas, etc! Second, I am a little offended at your comment blaming parents for rebellious children. I understand where you are coming from. I used to be super judgmental about other people's children. Now, I've got three angel children and one wild child, who has his own mind no matter what we try/do at home. It's super frustrating, and I feel like a failure every day, and the last thing that parents like me need is for primary (where our children should be loved and encouraged) leaders to judge our children and/or the parents. Thankfully, we have had really great, understanding primary leaders for the most part. I think you have a great opportunity here, where so many people read your site to be a good example of Christlike love. Even if it is the parents fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO sorry that you were offended. I honestly meant that to be a joke to take some of the pressure off of the chorister. Of course I would never encourage anyone working with children to be anything less than patient and loving. It is hard to write and have things come across like you want them to. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I hope you can forgive me. :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...